Park Forest – Chicago Heights Public Schools
School District 163 – Cook County
Mohawk Primary Center
Park Forest, Illinois 60466Phone (708) 668-9300 · Fax (708) 748-9738 www.sd163.com
Mrs. Karon A. Nolen – Principal
Welcome to the 2014-2015 at Mohawk Primary Center
As we begin our first year as a Primary Center, I must tell you that I know that change is indeed good. I deem it a privilege and an honor to have a strong team of enthusiastic educators at our building. The Mohawk Primary Team of teachers have been hard at work preparing their classrooms for the upcoming school year. Our staff is thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with you to build the educational foundation, upon which your scholar will flourish academically. Mohawk Primary Center will provide a positive and welcoming environment in which your scholars will be nurtured, as they develop the building blocks for higher order thinking and learning. We welcome you as partners in your child’s learning and hope you will become a familiar face at Mohawk.
Today’s workplaces, schools, homes, and everyday lives are more technological than ever before. People spend 95 percent of their time interacting with some type of technology. By teaching and learning with a S.T.E.A.M. focus, children’s natural curiosity can be harnessed to promote the learning of engineering and technology concepts. A S.T.E.A.M. school equips students with skills that are integrated across disciplines. Hands-on real-world, engineering experiences can invigorate Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math to motivate students to learn new concepts through relevant applications. Learning about engineering increases an awareness of and access to scientific and technical careers. At this time our school services Kindergarten through 3rd grade. We are ecstatic about our partnerships with community based resources to fully implement a S.T.E.A.M. room. This educational framework is for all disciplines and all types of learners, with the goal of being more engaging and naturally successful, for all members of the educational system.
It is becoming increasingly evident that a child’s school success depends on parent involvement. Students whose parents are involved in education are more motivated in school. Please remember to encourage your child to read at home daily. By modeling good reading habits, and getting excited about what you are reading and learning, your child will be sure to follow. We value your presence during all school events and hope to provide a variety of opportunities to help us connect with your child and family. One of the most important characteristics of an effective school is building a strong home-school relationship.
We would like to welcome all of our new families to Mohawk Primary Center. We are excited that you will be joining us this year, and we look forward to working with you.
Due to the School District 163 reconfiguration, the Staff from Mohawk Intermediate Center has taken new positions at different school within the district. Therefore, the Mohawk Primary staff, while primarily from Beacon Hill includes a few new members to the 163 school district family. Let me take a moment to acquaint you with the 2014-2015 Mohawk Primary Staff:
|Sp. Ed.||Ms. Mulry||15|
|Sp. Ed.||Ms. Johnson||17|
|Social Worker||Ms. Dornseif|
|Psychologist Intern||Ms. Christen|
|Building Assistant||Ms. Albright|
|Health Assistant||Ms. Ross|
|Media/Technology Assistant||Ms. Moeller|
|1:1 Teacher Assistant||Ms. Lacy|
|Sp. Ed. Assistant||Ms. Brown|
|Sp. Ed. Assistant||Ms. Hodges|
|Sp. Ed. Assistant||Ms. Lee|
|Sp. Ed. Assistant||Ms. Waters|
First Day of School
It is a full-day of school, breakfast and lunch will be served. On this very exciting first day of school, teachers will be outside with signs in hand, to welcome our scholars. Our first bell rings at 8:10 a.m. and students should be in their seats and ready for instruction beginning at 8:15 a.m. Students should arrive no earlier than 7:55 a.m. Our dismissal time is 3:00 p.m. for all students.
Drop Off / Pick-up- Parents or Guardians
We encourage everyone to follow the safe arrival and departure routine. This of course involves rules which must be followed, if we are to keep our children safe. Students will only be dropped off and picked up on Mohawk street. While I know this is different from when the older students were here, we deem it safer to have students who are dropped off and picked up by parents and guardians to use the Mohawk doors.
If your children walk to school, please stress to them the importance of staying on the sidewalk, for their safety. Remember Safety First!
Please remind your students of the following:
- Walk directly from home to school
- Safety issues; Never talk to strangers
- Make sure to look both ways and always listen for cars when crossing streets
- Cars can come from many directions in this area, PLEASE BE AWARE!!!!
7:55a.m breakfast/arrival, 8:15 first bell/school begins
*Please make sure your child arrives on time.
Students may not arrive at school before 7:55 a.m.; this is to ensure that we have appropriate supervision for each scholar. If your child is left at school prior to this time we cannot guarantee his/her safety.
- Breakfast students will enter the gym for breakfast. They may arrive no earlier than 7:55 a.m. After breakfast, students will return to their designated area.
- After the first week of school, scholars’ not eating breakfast at school, will line up in the hallway outside their classroom door where they will sit quietly and read quietly. During the first week of school scholars who are not eating will line up in the hallway until they know the expected procedure. They should arrive by 8:10 a.m.
- If your child arrives late to school, he/she must enter the parking lot doors (where they will be buzzed in) and come to the office for a tardy pass.
- If your scholar is ill and will not be attending school, please call our absence line at 668-9350 by 10:00 a.m., and send a note when your child returns to school.
- Scholars who are in day care will be dismissed 1st. They will exit the parking lot door where their busses will be waiting.
- School Busses will pick up scholars on Shabonna Street (the entrance nearest the gym.
- Walkers will be dismissed from the Shabonna Street doors also.
- Parents who are picking up scholars will come to their scholars outside classroom door on Mohawk street. You will be given the door number on the first day of school
- Scholars will be dismissed from school by 3:00. Please ensure that your child is picked up on time as we do not have adequate supervision once the school day has ended.
- 7:55 a.m. - Students may arrive to school for breakfast
- 8:10 a.m.- students should arrive to school if they do not need to eat breakfast at school
- 8:15 a.m. - Official start of the school day
- 3:00 p.m. - Dismissal from school on regular full day attendance dates
Thank you for your assistance!! It is important that we work together to provide a safe and happy environment for our scholars.
We are all looking forward to a productive school year.
Karon A. Nolen